Unfortunately, I cannot post everything that you need to know to be an amazing essay writer here. It will take all year and a lot more effort than just reading this page. However, I would like to offer you some tips, helpful links, and minor "how to's" to help you with your writing.
Here are some basic steps to take when writing an essay.
- Brainstorm - think of various topic ideas that you might be interested in writing about. Try free-writing, making a map, or listing your thoughts to decide which topic you could best support.
- Pick your topic - once you pick your topic, form a rough thesis so that your topic is specific. Remember to make sure that you are proving something with this thesis.
- Outline - create an outline of your paper. You can make a detailed outline or a vague outline (the more detailed, the easier and faster it is write the actual essay!). Here is a link to an outline template.
- Draft - write a rough draft of your paper. Try to follow your outline to make sure that you include all of the necessary aspects.
- Peer Editing - share your essay with your peers to help with revision ideas.
- Draft some more! - write multiple drafts accompanied with multiple peer edits.
Other helpful links:
For citing, writing, and all things essay:
For help with literary analysis essays: